Saturday 6 April 2013

First hummingbird 2013

I knew there had been lots of sightings nearby before now, according to the reports and map at Journey North, but I was delighted to see my first hummingbird (a male) of the season this evening.  He was visiting the porch feeder (the whir of wings was a welcome sign of his arrival). It was only the second dinner out on the porch (the unseasonably cool March weather precluded any earlier porch meals!)

I had put out fresh sugar water in mid-March (hoping for an earlier sighting -- one of the fun things about having blog post "records" is that I can look back and see when I've first seen a hummingbird in previous years -- it's fun to look back.

hummingbird visiting Campsis (at Biltmore)
This is a photo I took at Biltmore Estate (in Asheville, NC) in late August, 2009 (and my post about watching them). 

There is an enormous Campsis radicans (Trumpet-creeper) growing on the arbor on the side of the house towards the gardens.  Needless to say, the hummingbirds visiting the flowers are used to being around visitors! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment